Creative Writing: Getting Started and the Craft of Fiction
The following how-to-write books have been absolutely instrumental in my quest to learn the craft of fiction:
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life (Anne Lamott): this is a fabulous book, a must read for anyone who endeavors to write. For me, it simply took some of the fright of writing.
- Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft (8th Edition) (Janet Burroway and Elizabeth Stuckey-French): no offense to God, but this is my bible. I refer to it often, I honestly could not survive without it!
- The Art of Fiction: Notes on Craft for Young Writers (John Gardner): A fantastic resource to use along side Writing Fiction.
- The Elements of Style (4th Edition) – (William Strunk and E.B. White): According to Stephen King, in On Writing: 10th Anniversary Edition: A Memoir of the Craft, every aspiring writer should read this book. I totally agree, this book is a must have (you can carry it in your pocket)!
- An American Rhetoric – (William Whyte Watt): This is an amazing guide to “Good Writing and Correct English” – it is hard to find, even harder to find at a decent price – try Better World Books, I scooped a copy up there for less than $20!
- Solutions for Writers: Practical Craft Techniques for Fiction and Non-fiction: Though I also included this in the section for revision, I also think it is a fantastic read before you dive into your novel. The guy is simply straight forward with his advice, and his proven track record makes it worth following. I am serious, this book is awesome!
Follow the links for user reviews. Any other recommendations? Please do share your resources on creative writing.